Sunday, June 12, 2016

She Oughta Miss Me By Now

Mark Chesnutt! How lovely to hear your name again. And when Rolling Stone tells me your new song is "steel-drenched," I get a good feeling. I wouldn't go so far as to call it drenched in steel, but more of a blanket of steel - the way you feel wrapped up in it if you're in a country bar. It's a good song, has an early 90s kind of sound, not as twangy as some. The lyrics are okay. It is definitely a country song, but honestly it's nothing special. I like it fine and wouldn't turn the station if it came on, but it's not the kind of song I would ache to hear and call in numerous times or rush out to buy the album for, so I could listen to it over and over. It is the kind of song for hearing in a dance hall, for having playing in the background at a restaurant (the kind that serves chicken fried steak and brisket). Honestly it's more of a 'B-side,' but I'm looking forward to hearing more, hopefully more powerful songs from the old MC, maybe something as good as "It Sure is Monday," "Bubba Shot the Jukebox," or "Too Cold at Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.