Thursday, January 12, 2012

Seven Takes Countdown - Volume 12 - January 13, 2012



For now, I am going to continue to use them as the 40 songs that I may choose from to make my top 7. However. I am considering dropping away from it as I find that I am constantly disagreeing with what the list is saying. I cannot tell you the last time I heard Chris Cagle's song "Got My Country On," but it's still sitting in the middle of the list, at number 31 for the second week in a row. Also, I'm annoyed that gossip about Rodney Atkins' personal life has affected his playtime on whatever stations these people are getting their facts from. "He's Mine" is obviously a song that ought to be jumping up to number one super fast, but it drops down to 39 this week? No, sir. I disagree heartily. Faith, heartily. You, media, have no business in his personal business, so get out of it, and let the song be the fabulous father-son tribute that it is. Thank you.

Here's the Mediabase country chart. It's updated twice daily. I'm working to make heads or tails of it.

Happy Friday the 13th, by the way, so I'm handing over to you in between my top seven songs of the week, seven country songs that distress me.

7
Rodney Atkins - "He's Mine" (1)
39


When this song starts, I am surprised not to hear some serious indy rock coming up. But then, we get the slow drawl of Rodney Atkins. It's gritty, it's candid, and takes the cake for father-son tribute. "Everyone still remembers when he whooped up on that boy way bigger, for takin that cheap shot on our little kicker, and they threw him out. Aw, man, you shoulda heard me shout, he's mine...I'll take the blame and claim him every time."

~Distressing Song~

David Allen Coe - "The Ride"


6
Brantley Gilbert - "You Don't Know Her Like I Do" (x-1)
38


Excellent song. It's not just the lyrics, though they are insta-classic style. I like it as much as "The Truth," y'all. It could be that good. My only concern is the repetitive nature of the song. Over and over, the same words, perhaps a time too many. It'd be great to have another verse or longer verses, but what we've got can still thoroughly tear you up. "You can't help me, she's the only one who can." We've got nice, simple guitar licks, and heavy drum in heart-beat imitation. 

~Distressing Song~

Charlie Daniels Band - "The Legend of Wooley Swamp"
I love the creepiness of this song. "You'll hear two young man screamin, you'll hear one old man laugh." 


5
Lady Antebellum - "Dancin' Away With My Heart" (NEW)
35


The new Lady A song is light and tender, reminiscent. It's got much less back and forth between Hillary and Charles and more singing together, showing off, in a rare way, the lovely harmony their voices make together. Don't forget about the impressive Dave Haywood sittin' back there playin' every musical instrument you have ever heard of and five more. Yeah.

~Distressing Song~

Miranda Lambert - "Gunpowder and Lead"
It always distresses me to hear a song with such fierce anger/revenge tendencies.


4
Gloriana - "(Kissed You) Good Night" (7)
37


With the cutesy innocent strummings at the beginning, what can one do but like a song that ends up this way. Fun, dancing lyrics and bounding background music. 

~Distressing Song~

The Band Perry - "You Lie"
"I oughta kill you right now and do the whole wide world a service." - What!?


3
Kip Moore - "Somethin' Bout a Truck" (3)
32


~Distressing Song~

Randy Travis - "Diggin' Up Bones"
What a weird thing to say, y'all. Bones?



2
Martina McBride - "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" (new)
12


I get frustrated by over emotionally-manipulative songs like this one. I finally watched the music video this week. I'm not saying I suddenly love this song. I'll still switch to Prime Country or WMZQ when it comes on or skip it on Pandora. But. I thought I'd share it anyhow because it does, of course, have a good message.

~Distressing Song~

Reba McEntire - "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"
This one has not only creepy sounds and creepy storyline but also a crooked judge!


1
Craig Morgan - "This Ole Boy"
30


Craig's got it goin' on in this song. "I don't know if it could get any better, but man if it does, I reckon I better get to pickin' out a ring!" Man, watching him sing it at the Grand Ol' Opry, too, this guy looks like a real down home, normal country guy. He's not high-tech (Tim McGraw) or overly casual (Kenny Chesney). He's just a country boy without holes in his jeans, just his floorboards. Nice.

~Distressing Song~

Alan Jackson - "Midnight in Montgomery"
This one's been giving me nightmares since I was a kid. I'd bet if I'd first heard it as a grown-up, it wouldn't be so bad. But as it is, it's really creepy sounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.