Friday, December 23, 2011

Seven Takes Countdown - Volume 9 - December 23, 2011


Happy Christmas Eve Eve! 

Since we're so very close to the celebration of Christ's birth, today's in between songs will be - not poppy Christmas songs, cause I don't like those - songs that mention Christmas or Winter Weather or Some Such Happy Cheeriness. Okay...maybe one Christmas song...

My Top 7 This Week

7
Sara Evans - My Heart Can't Tell You No (return)
23

~Cheery Wintry Song 1~
Alabama - Angels Among Us


6
Gloriana - (Kissed You) Good Night (NEW)
39
I love dialogue songs! He's talkin' about how he shoulda kissed her, then she's talkin' about how he shoulda kissed her, and then he runs to her door and she comes out. I personally think the lyrics are honest and simple. I like that there's no exaggerated "love" going on when they obviously just had a date and haven't kissed, yet. I also think this would be a great dancing song. Cheers.

~Cheery Wintry Song 2~
Zac Brown Band - Colder Weather
Okay, maybe not quite so cheery, but wintry!

5
Rodney Atkins - He's Mine (7)
38
Here we've got a narrative father-son song, where the father sees himself in his son, in a rougher version of George Strait's "Love without End, Amen." My favorite part of this song is probably when he mentions the football game when the son gave a nice hit on the guy who put a cheap shot on the kicker. Nice. "I'll take the blame and claim him every time." 

~Cheery Wintry Song 3~
Joe Nichols - I'll Wait For You
I'm sorry - but it's beautiful.

4
Taylor Swift - Ours (NEW)
33
This song debuts on ACC at 33, quite a nice placement. "Ours" was released on the Bonus CD that only came with the Speak Now album if you bought the Deluxe Target edition. I bought that one. I thought for a while that these were pretty much Taylor's B-sides, and she didn't quite care for them as much as those on the main album. Now I think she was saving this one for this very moment. She releases the video and then the single, and the video is all over Youtube and various other places. There is some of the usual silliness, of course, all throughout Speak Now, but this song hits you with its candid innocence. My personal favorite line is "your hands are rough, but they're where mine belong in." Yes, I graduated with a degree in English Literature, and I have occasional lapses in my own grammar, and other peoples' grammar sometimes makes me cringe in professional writing, but I love a grammar mistake in country music. It makes me grin. End your sentence with a preposition, girl. The line is so cute, the image so perfect, you have poetic license.

~Cheery Wintry Song 4~
Taylor Swift - Last Christmas

3
Kip Moore - Somethin' 'Bout a Truck (2)
34
This acoustic version of the song is fantastic. The steel guitar has quite a bit of prominence here.

~Cheery Wintry Song 5~
Kellie Pickler - Santa Baby
The awesome video isn't working, but you should seek it out on Youtube.

2
Craig Morgan - This Ole Boy (return)
30
Fantastic acoustic version of this song!
I'm all acoustic this week, eh?

~Cheery Wintry Song 6~
Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

1
George Strait - Love's Gonna Make It Alright (2)
21

~Cheery Wintry Song 7~
Lady Antebellum - Baby, It's Cold Outside
My absolute favorite winter song! And here's Lady A performing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.