Thursday, November 3, 2011

Some Small Town Songs to Make You Wanna Go Home

I'm making a trip to Texas this weekend, and I'm pretty excited about it, so I've got some small town songs rolling around in my brain this week. You probably won't be surprised by who sings 'em, if you know me at all by now.

Justin Moore's "Small Town USA"
This is my little brother's favorite song, and I don't wonder why. He's a teenager in small town Texas, so this song is home for him. The sound and the lyrics are home for me, too. :) I hope he reads this.


Rodney Atkins' "Back Road"
Why is this song just now being written? When I was a kid, we didn't have a truck, so when I hear this song, I'm sitting in the back of my dad's big blue van, singing some old George Strait, "Amarillo by Morning." And that was on his second album. Living between two big cities like I do, now, it's nice to hear some home. I know that city folk who are country at heart think that, too. But, no, I will not talk about that ridiculous Trace Adkins and Blake Shelton song. Idea good. Production...bad.


Jason Aldean "Tattoos on this Town"
Love this one. My graduating class took down the famed "senior rail," so instead of leaving something to be remembered, we left an empty space. But still. But the song isn't just what you left, it goes both ways, eh? "It sure left its mark on us; we sure left our mark on it; let the world know we were here, with everything we did; laid a lot of memories down, like tattoos on this town."


Tracy Byrd "Lifestyles of the Not So Rich and Famous"
RC Cola. Moon pie.


Brad Paisley's "Mud on the Tires"
I think this one speaks for itself. If you're from the country, you know what it means.


Billy Currington's "Good Directions"
Oh yes, Mama sellin' sweet tea, sendin' that girl on back to ya.


Eric Church's "How Bout You?"
Red White and Blue, Country, Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am.


Jason Michael Carrol's "Where I'm From
I always think of my second oldest brother when I hear this one. He travels a lot - will be on a plane to Norway on Saturday - but he's a small town Texas guy who was in a band for years, singing, playing keyboard & guitar. I picture him in an olive colored suit with cowboy boots. I have no idea if he actually dresses like that, but it's what I see in my head when I hear this song.

Blake Shelton's "Austin"
I don't know if this really counts, since Austin is anything but a small town, but you get the idea, surely? Also, I'm from Texas. No...not Austin, but still. Probably Blake's best song.

George Strait's "Run" & "All My Exes Live in Texas"
Okay, I'm stretching...

Easton Corbin's "A Little More Country Than That"
Dirt road full of potholes? How about a "paved" road that hasn't been re-paved in like 10 years? Ahem, Alice Street...Padon Road...Old Needville Fairchilds? anybody?


Don Williams' "Louisiana Saturday Night"
Talk about some nostalgia.

I forgot one! Update:

Brooks & Dunn's "Red Dirt Road"

Late tomorrow night, I land in Texas! I'm sure a weekend of Texas will bring me back with lots more posts for y'all soon. Til then.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.