Friday, November 25, 2011

Seven Takes Countdown -Volume 5 - November 25, 2011


Good morning and happy Thanksgiving, y'all. I hope y'all ate plenty of turkey and watched a lot of football. The mighty Ravens defense scored my Cardiff Steelers a hefty 18 points. 
Take a look at the top 40 songs in the country this week, and then read over my top 7 and some. 
In celebration of football and turkey, I'm throwing in some old number 1s as a fun treat.
So grab a piece of pie covered in whipped cream and sit down with me for some good ol' country.


ACC didn't have much exciting to say. The new song on the countdown this week comes in at number 39, and it's Faith Hill's new song "Come Home." Sadly, Kip Moore's "Somethin' 'Bout a Truck" moved down one to #40. Come on, y'all, let's call in to our radio stations and get this one on. It's a new sexy tractor song without the tractor. We all love sexy tractor/truck songs.
"You Make Me Wanna Love You" by Andy Gibson fell off completely.

I just learned how to embed videos. Our lives will never be the same! Watch the videos without leaving the blog! Yea! This week I'm getting straight down to business for ya. Now that the videos are on here, you can just watch the videos as you go, counting down right along with me. If you think I've got it wrong, tell me about it. Cheers, y'all.

7
"Sparks Fly" - Taylor Swift (x-1 two weeks ago)
1

Okay, this song has made it back onto the list. Congrats to Taylor on rocking the AMAs last week. Take a look.





Top Song 1 Year Ago

"As She's Walkin' Away" - Zac Brown Band


I cannot believe this song is a whole year old. Wow. Incredible.

6
"Let's Don't Call it a Night" - Casey James (2)
38
"Mmmm, you got me thinkin' thoughts in my head." Ready for this?
"Everyone knows that poetic meter...tends to produce a pleasant effect...Some [theorists] argue that, since the beat in most accentual poetry is slightly faster than the normal heart beat, the apprehension of metered language physically exhilarates the hearer or reader: the heart beat, it is said, actually speeds up in an effort to "match" the slightly faster poetic rhythm" (Fussell 5). This song is the clearest example of this point that I have heard in ages. It's just slow enough to be barely faster than the heart-rate, so when the cymbal triplets pop in, they, as Fussell says, physically exhilarate the listener. How fabulous is that?







Top Song 5 Years Ago

"Before He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood






5



"Like My Dog" - Billy Currington (x-1 two weeks ago)
34
This is another funny love video. Come on, have a sense of humor!


Top Song 10 Years Ago

"Nothin' Bout You" - Brooks & Dunn



What a fabulous song from 10 years ago. Oh, the memories from that many years ago. I absolutely wanted to get a butterfly tattoo when this song came out.


4
"You" - Chris Young (1)
18
I'm finally letting him come down a little bit. He hasn't moved at all on the ACC Countdown, so I figure I should let somebody else move up on here. I have to say, though, this song still does it for me.


Top Song 15 Years Ago

"Strawberry Wine" by Deanna Carter




3

Somethin' 'Bout a Truck" - Kip Moore (7)
40
There's somethin' bout anapestic verse that makes you feel like you're on the back of a horse, gallopin' through a field with a girl and a beer, beggin' for another kiss...



Top Song 20 Years Ago

"Shameless" by Garth Brooks


2
"A Woman Like You" - Lee Brice - 4
37

A girl who asks this question deserves whatever answer she gets. This song gives her the answer she deserves and the answer she wants at the same time. You just can't help but smile while you watch the actor in this video tryin' to cook some Ramen on his stove. Looks like he overcooked it, by the way.


Top Song 25 Years Ago


"That Rock Won't Roll" - Restless Heart





I am so very happy I get to put this awesome song on my blog. Man, maybe I should write reviews from 20-some years ago. I love this stuff. I remember dancing to this song when my brother was in a band, playing in the Eagles' Hall and at street festivals in Markham, Texas. I can just see the lights and the smoke. Home and happy.


1
"Alone with You" - Jake Owen (x-1)
33

Congrats, Jake! Lovin' this song all week. All month. I feel no hesitation to throw you to the top faster than ACC.

Top Song 30 Years Ago


"All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down)" - Hank Williams, Jr.





Have a great Thanksgiving week, and I hope you can remember when these songs came out. Each song was number 1 in the country Thanksgiving week. What a fun trip down memory lane. Enjoy, y'all! 




Fussell, Paul. Poetic Meter & Poetic Form. McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York: 1979.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.