Friday, November 11, 2011

Seven Takes Countdown -Volume 3 - November 11, 2011

Here's ACC's Countdown for the week.

As Bob Kingsley would do, I'm going to throw in a few extra songs into my countdown to celebrate Veterans' Day today. It's not just any Vet's Day - it's 11/11/11. So I've got 7 songs to honor veterans in addition to my usual top 7 and outside of the top tops. :) 

To make things clear, here's a little graphic representation:
My Place on the Countdown (7,6,5,4,3,2,1)
Song Title - Artist Name (last week's placement on mine; x-1 means on list but not in top 7)
ACC's Placement This Week
My breakdown.


Let's begin with some new songs to the countdown. Remember, we like to listen to each song before moving on to the next...recommended, not exactly required. 

A Woman Like You - Lee Brice (new)
40

It's a new style of love song, and it's adorable. Go, listen. He sounds more like Dierks Bentley than usual in this song. Lead guitar controls the song happily. I just can't stop thinking, "cute." It comes out at a good time, with Billy Currington's "Like My Dog." It's got a little bit of the same silliness, but it actually has stuff a woman wants to hear.


Red Solo Cup - Toby Keith (new)
36

I heard on Sirius that I am not the only person who does not like this song. I am glad of it. I thought that I was perhaps unreasonable at my annoyance every time this song comes on. It is very very very catchy, so I warn you, be careful. Listen to the whole song and walk away, friend. Walk away. It will pop into your head whenever you happen to see a red solo cup, which you are likely to do just about every day. I was driving home from the grocery store the other day and saw one rolling in the wind by the side of the road. Eek. It's like a jingle. I don't watch TV, but I'd expect that Solo will take this opportunity for a commercial. Watch out, this version of the video is unedited.

Got My Country On - Chris Cagle (new)
35

Country meets something sorta like rap. Lyrics are pretty good, sending out due respect to the real country awesomes out there. But the wah wah wah of the electric guitar goes a bit overboard. 
This new fad of rap-country (c-rap?), I confess, I am not a fan of.


Like My Dog - Billy Currington (new)
33

I haven't yet been able to bring myself to mention this in my top songs. It is a guilty pleasure of mine how much I like this song. The lyrics are absolutely ridiculous, and the music a lovely country. We really ought to have more dog songs out there. I think that David Allen Coe would agree.



7

Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift (new)
4




I have thus far not included any Taylor on my countdown. It isn't that I don't like her, or even like this song. It's just that this album came out about a year ago, and I already listened to it about 500 times, so when it's a "new" single, it's already pretty old for me, and I'm not crazy psyched about it right now. I do think it's a great, though immature, falling in love song. Maybe not falling in love so much as first meeting lustishness. 

Here's our first Veteran's dedication song. 

The gist of this song is a serviceman knows that he may die and leaves a note in his car for the car's future owner. Then there's a lovely little story of the soldier's ghost saving him at the end. 

6

Let's Don't Call it a Night - Casey James (x-1)
39



If you're like me and can't get enough of this song, you can get Casey James' debut single in the usual various places. Also, if you'd like to check out possible songs on his forthcoming album, check it out on this site

Veteran Song #2!

Travelin' Soldier - The Dixie Chicks
I know that the DCs are apparently not very patriotic, but this song is beautiful.



5

17



It's back! This song was on the Volume 1 of the countdown but didn't make it last week. This time it even gets a space in the top 7. It's a really fun song; you can always count on Luke Bryan (the guy with two first names) for a fun song.

Veteran Song #3!

Now I move into the -in all seriousness- section of the Veterans dedication. Both of my grandfathers and my father were all in the Navy, as well as some uncles and cousins. I have a few friends in the military. I really respect and appreciate those men who fight for us at home and afar. Thanks, guys. Don't let the crazy folk get you down. You honor your country every day.

American Soldier - Toby Keith


4
Keep Me in Mind - Zac Brown Band (2)
10


This one stays up high for the third week in a row. It moved down a few spaces to make room for new songs, but I'm still lovin' it. I have heard "As She's Walkin' Away" a few times this week, which is nice, and it makes me like this song more not to hear it every single time I hear ZBB. I'm feelin' some love for "Colder Weather," too, which I haven't heard in at least a week.

Veteran Song #4

Letters from Home - John Michael Montgomery
It feels nice to include some John Michael Montgomery on here. And this song is quite worthy. Watch out, if you don't know this song, you will cry the first time you hear it. I cry every time. 


3
Bait a Hook - Justin Moore (x-1)
25




Yep, I still really like this song. I am working on a playlist for y'all that has such "guy" songs. Mostly they talk about trucks. And one about a dog...and this one about fishin. Good shtuff.


Veteran Song #5

Some Gave All - Billy Ray Cyrus


2
Alone with You - Jake Owen (x-1)
34



I'm surprised this song isn't moving up faster. I really like the video of him singing it in his kitchen. Not for watching so much as knowing that he wanted so badly to get his new songs out to his fans that he recorded himself singing it and posted it to twitter. I think that is awesome. Also, it sounds even better when he is accompanied only by his guitar. I'm pretty impressed by the acoustics of his kitchen, actually



Veteran Song #6

In Color - Jamey Johnson


1
You - Chris Young (1)
19



Here we are, another week at #1. In a few more weeks, I expect that ACC will do the same. That's the nice thing about getting to do this myself - I can speed up an otherwise rather slow process. When I really think a song is awesome, no matter how new it is to my list, I can just zap it up as high as I like. I hope y'all like it as much as I do. 

Last but not least, the final song dedicated to all them veterans out there, and to all of those currently serving. 

God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood
This is the first song that comes to mind when I think of my love of this country. 

Happy Veterans' Day, and have a great week, y'all! 

Don't forget to see Jen for more QuickTakes!


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.