Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The CMAs

Tonight at 8PMEastern/7Central, the biggest night in country music, the CMAs are on ABC, hosted again by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood. This is their fourth year in a row hosting together. I missed the show last year and am probably going to be missing it again, though I'll be listening to updates on Sirius. We bought this fabulous antenna for the Superbowl a few years ago, and we moved, and now it's broken. Last year I spent about an hour trying to get it to pick up ABC and then another 30 or more minutes searching online for some kind of anything. No go. Sad times. I really love the CMAs. I have been known to record them, cry through them, laugh, yell, throw things at the TV... I guess that even though I'm a football fan, I'm a girl football fan. But when it comes to country music, I'm a real fanatic. So, as I do every Sunday morning with my husband and son for football, I'm going to throw out my picks for tonight's wins for y'all. I'm all about being disagreed with. Heck, I'll likely be proven pretty wrong in just a few short hours. Here goes! Here's the website with all of the nominees. I'm just giving you my winners.

Musician of the Year

Mac Macanally
Guitar
He has won the past three years and nobody has come around to knock him out, not this year.


Music Video of the Year

This one is complicated. I think that Taylor Swift's "Mean" will win, but I like Kenny's "You and Tequila" best of the choices. We'll see. 


Musical Event of the Year

Jason Aldean & Kelly Clarkson
"Don't You Wanna Stay"
What a crazy group of nominees. They could all win. Every one of them, but I think Jason and Kelly have it in the bag. Brad with Alabama is my second guess, especially with him hosting again. And my favorite of the group is the Zac Brown Band with Alan Jackson, but I'm stickin' with my guns on the Jason & Kelly pick. 


Song of the Year

"Colder Weather"
by 

ZAC BROWN, WYATT DURRETTE, LEVI LOWREY, AND COY BOWLES

This award goes to the songwriters. I really don't think it's going to be a Taylor year, so I'm going with ZBB on this one. Kimberly Perry could totally win with "If I Die Young," though, so we'll see. 


Album of the Year

You Get What You Give
Zac Brown Band
Can't I just pick all of them? All of them. Jason Aldean's album won on Sirius' fan vote. Brad Paisley could also take it. And Taylor is always a possibility. I don't think Blake's got a chance. Watch, he's gonna be the one to take it. 


Single of the Year

"If I Die Young" 
The Band Perry
This is the award for them. I think they'll take this one home. It's a lovely song, and it was crazy crazy popular at the beginning of the year, though it's fallen off a bit. The love given to their newer and not as good songs suggests that this one was good enough to give them a decent career for a while. Let's see...


Vocal Duo of the Year

Sugarland.
Nobody else is even close.


Vocal Group of the Year

Lady Antebellum
Though Zac Brown Band is awesome, Lady A's got the girl lead and the guy lead, and their songs and albums sell like crazy to country and rock folk alike. They've got it in the bag. And next year. Then, too.


New Artist of the Year

Chris Young
He's not going to win. I really really want him to. I don't know why Luke Bryan gets to be in this category, since he's not quite new enough. I think this will probably go to The Band Perry. But I'm calling Chris Young anyway. So there.


Male Vocalist of the Year

Jason Aldean OR Blake Shelton
I think they are equally likely to take home the prize. It's been quite a year for Blake, better than it's been for him for a while. Thank you, Miranda, for your influence! But really, Jason is the next Johnny Cash. He's forever, y'all.


Female Vocalist of the Year

Taylor Swift
But I think I'd rather it be Miranda Lambert.


Entertainer of the Year

Brad Paisley
He got it last year, Taylor the year before, Kenny a few times before that. Brad's era continues. I love that Keith Urban is nominated, though. Too bad he's probably going to stay in his seat all night except for his performances, which will surely be phenomenal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions are welcome.