Monday, February 14, 2011

Best Country Love Songs of All Time, with edits

Thanks to comments on her, Facebook, and the car, I have added four songs to the bottom of the list and replaced one. :) Now I've got an even 25. Thanks, folks.

On Saturday, CMT did a special on the 40 Greatest Love Songs. I checked out the list that they posted, and I find it not quite perfect. There are some fabulous songs on there, some you will see on my list here, and there are some not so fabulous songs, which, obviously, you won't see here. Here are the 21 Best Love Songs. With no further ado...

George Jones, "He Stopped Loving Her Today"
Tragedy = Love. Yes. What is the best and most well-known love story of all time? That's right. Romeo and Juliet, and what happens at the end? They both die. This is real romance. I love happy endings, but there are times when the saying Amor omnia vincit means a sad death at the end. Titanic, A Walk to Remember, Romeo & Juliet, Antony & Cleopatra... This song is amazing - heartwrenching, true love. Yea. Go love. Stupid woman. You shoulda loved him back.

Alison Kraus & Brad Paisley, "Whiskey Lullaby"
I don't mean to stick with the depressing, and maybe this song isn't really happy super wonderful love, but it's more Sorrows of Young Werther, but it's beautiful. Beautiful.

Travis Tritt, "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know"
Here. This is nice and happy. Watch the video; the video is probably why it's in the top here. This is one of those songs that makes me cry and love my husband more. You know the kind. You hear the song, and you give your husband credit for saying all of those wonderful things. :)

Keith Whitley and/or Alison Kraus, "When You Say Nothing At All"
This one is also beautiful. I cannot decide if I like it better when it's just Keith, just Alison, or both of them together. All of them are wonderful. I'm sharing the one with just Keith, as it is the original.

Garth Brooks, "The Dance"
I do not particularly care for Garth Brooks these days, but this song is a good reminder for everyone.
This is a tribute video for Dale Earnhardt, but it's the only one I could find that was actually Garth.

Patsy Cline, "Crazy"
They don't make 'em like Patsy anymore.

The Judds, "Mama, He's Crazy"
One song just leads me to another. This is the older and better version of Carrie Underwood's "Mama's Song." Did you know that this was the Judds' first hit and came out in 1984? I was 2!

George Strait, "I Cross My Heart"
George Strait sings a love song like a breath. This is one of 2 I am listing by him. Love this guy. If you haven't seen it, you should watch the movie Pure Country.

George Strait, "Baby Blue"
Rumor has it that this song was actually about his baby who was killed when hit by a car. That makes the song extra sad and tragic. Love song or sad loss of child song, this song will live on.

Zac Brown Band, "Whatever it Is"
It took me about five times hearing this song to like it. Now it's on here.

Conway Twitty, "Hello Darlin'"
Another sad one, this song is for all the lost loves out there. Conway tears your heart out with his voice.

Randy Travis &/or Carrie Underwood, "I Told Ya So"
I actually like both versions of this perfectly equally. I'm giving you the one with Carry and Randy, as duets are always better than solos...ok, not really but still.

Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash, "Jackson"
This is from the movie Walk the Line. They are so good, maybe better than the original...here's the proposal. Mr. Phoenix rocks this scene, and so does Reese.

Rascal Flatts, "Bless the Broken Road"

Taylor Swift, "Back to December"
Sad and lovely, Taylor's newest single gets a place on my list. It's always good to give that apology... This live version I like better than the music video.

John Michael Montgomery, "I Can Love You Like That"

John Michael Montgomery, "I Swear"

Kenny Chesney, "You Had Me from Hello"
I was going to only include the next KC song, but I had to add this one, too...I couldn't just leave it out!

Kenny Chesney, "Me and You"

Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton, "Islands in the Stream"
Yea! I found a live video! This song is great. Dolly's so cute.

Kathy Mattea, "Where've You Been"
Last but never least, this song is The Notebook years before the book or movie.
Oh, Clare & Edwin.

Randy Travis, "Forever and Ever, Amen"
Thanks, Kathleen! I can't believe I missed this one. Great cute video, too.

Steve Wariner, "Some Fools Never Learn"
Thanks, Eric. Of course, I should have  gone to my brother who was in a band for years and is the major reason why I love country music so much, before posting. I learned my lesson.

Alabama, "There's No Way"
Again, credit to Eric.

Sammy Kershaw, "Queen of My Double-Wide Trailer"
I kept thinking to myself, what Sammy song should I include? He's got a super sappy one, but it never really hit me as his amazing love song. This song is why. Thanks, Eric.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds personal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite all time country love song is To Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks.

    Like your list though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that song. Hope Floats, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a bad list. However, I would definitely need to include some Steve Wariner in there (Some Fools Never Learn), and for sure some Alabama (There's No Way). And if I'm getting serious, I'd probably need to thrown in Sammy Kershaw's Queen of My Double-Wide Trailer, just to be on the safe side.

    I hope all is well,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. I whispered Honey, let's just go on home, we'll have some onion rings and watch TV
    And as I walked her to my truck, Earl was cryin' "don't you leave me!"

    ReplyDelete

Opinions are welcome.